Sunday 29 January 2012

Assignment 2, The Sight of Sound #edtechcca2

For this assignment, combine audio effects into a soundscape to represent a place or an event. This assignment may not be suitable for all educational areas, so please feel free to create a soundscape for a scene from a favourite book or a poem, or come up with another idea.


I'm really excited about this task. I've done very little with sound before with regards to creating my own sounds. I've done bits of editing using Audacity in the past and editing sound with film in Final Cut , but never creating my own sounds or using royalty free sounds to build my own track.


So I'm going to have a play in Aviary and put together a piece of audio that I can use with my AS Media students. Their exam in the summer asks them to analyse representations within TV Drama, and sound is a key area that they must identify and explain its purpose. My aim is to create a short track to use as a "guess the plot" or "guess the genre" activity to get them thinking about the importance of sound, how it helps audiences understand characters and narrative, and how sound plays a key role in encouraging an emotive response from audiences.


The importance of sound  - my favourite examples. 

Psycho, 1960

Unfortunately I can't embed the famous shower scene from Hitchcock's Psycho, but please follow the link. This is a fantastic example of the way in which sound can be so powerful. Watch the clip to hear the difference made when you only hear the diegetic sounds during this scene. Amazing.

Layer Cake, 2004
Again, unable to embed this clip (thanks EMI) but the way sound is used here is so realistic. I like Matthew Vaughn and this scene from Layer Cake is one of my favourites in film. It's quite brutal and difficult to watch, but without doubt its the mix of sounds that make it so hard hitting: realistic sounds effects, little dialogue and a fabulous choice of soundtrack.

TV advert for Skoda Superb




This is just incredible! I love how music can be created from absolutely any sound you hear. Highly creative and effective. Brilliant.


Making my soundscape

Thanks to the guidance on sites for sounds from Edtech CC, I've used Sound Bible and Freesound to obtain the tracks and effects for my soundscape.

I intend to use it with my AS Media students as I planned. Their task would be simply to list the different sounds they hear and identify where we are and what's going on. Have a go yourself!




Sounds I have used in creating my soundscape:



Sound Bible:

"Background Noise" Caroline Ford
"Dialling Phone number" Mike Koenig
"city ambiance sound" lezer

Free Sound:

"Running hard surface"bevangoldswain
"Voice from hell" amliebsch
"Heavy gasping air" "fast running breath" Robinhood76
"dialling tone" "why" acclivity
"please hang up" "the number you have dialled has not been recognised" Benboncan
"car door slam" sdfalk
"crunchy leaves" "inhale" otherthings
"door close squeak" skyumori
"phone receiver" Percy Duke
"bass range hits" adcbicycle






5 comments:

  1. Result! Creating a resource you can use with one of your groups certainly adds value to your Edtechcc experience Kimberley. A wise move.

    Wondering if an English teacher might also use your resource as stimulus material for story writing?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ian, with my AS students for their TV Drama practise, I find it hard to get them thinking about sound without "watching" what's happening. I've turned the screen off and got them to simply listen before, but I think this is more effective. Thinking now to get them to create their own to build their learning further.

    And it goes without saying, if this is of use to anyone, they are more than welcome to use it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A fab idea Kim. I am really enjoying how everyone has interpreted the task in different ways and are finding ways it can enrich learning within their classrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A colleague of mine gets his students to create a sound story - they've to tell a story only with sound effects. They later add visuals in the form of photos or video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story, like Ian I am impressed with the way you you have bent the task to your own teaching. Really disturbing story in my head.

    ReplyDelete