Tuesday 24 January 2012

Assignment 1 – Signs & Symbols – #edtechcca1


Make two signs or symbols using a graphics tool of your choice. The first sign should be for your own department or course, the second sign should be for another educational department or course. Use only pictures, no words. Use only simple abstracted shapes, no photographs.

So... I've spent some time thinking lots about signs and symbols ready to complete this task. I wanted to create something to represent A Level Media Studies.


Some little things running through my head.
I wanted to get across the idea, not just of creativity, but the importance of questioning the media. The more I thought about this task, the more I felt like I was a student, and the more I thought about it the more panicked I became about the impending deadline! One thing I become very proud of my students for in Media Studies is their ability to become much more active audiences, questioning the media's portrayal of events and people. So, after a few (more) hours working out Illustrator I came up with this:

So... another subject. What could I do. I chose an area that I know least about, but am mystified and amazed by it nonetheless. Can you guess???



A fantastic task, very thought provoking and a chance to build upon my new skills in Illustrator.  Ooooh quick the next one is up!!

3 comments:

  1. It is excellent to see new skills being put in to practice. Well Done :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've tackled the software much better than I did! I like the idea that you've gone for a papery scroll type thing for media: it gives a sense (to me, anyway)along with a questioning scrutiny of the magnifying glass, of the depth and history of a subject that is often wrongly perceived as a bit superficial.

    As for your second one, am I being a bit too vague if I just go for 'science'? The globe could be a planet or a representation of an atom, and is that a test-tube below? Green for the environment?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys, and Ant you're spot on! Interpretation is a funny thing, I'm pleased the ideas I had came across in the two images.

    ReplyDelete